For our release 0.4 in our open source class, we decided to keep it short and abstract as a consequence of our unfortunate but inevitable decision to abandon (at least for now) our pursuit of embedding XMP metadata into images in Android. The goal of this release – to come up with a plan for the next few releases we have left for this class.
The task was surprisingly not easy. I initially intended to find a Java project on Github that I could contribute to so as to expand my Github repertoire with respect to programming languages. My efforts seemed to be futile. I searched for almost 4 days to find projects in Java that I possibly could contribute to…however, I came across many issues – either the project did not encourage contributors (many didn’t even have a CONTRIBUTING.md file) or the project had only a few bugs left (all assigned to core project personnel) or the issues were too complicated to qualify for beginner (or even intermediate imho) bugs or the project was and Android project (just NO!). Granted, I had a double agenda of contributing to high profile projects by companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc., but I didn’t think it was going to be this challenging.
I still hope to find a Java project for my final release…hopefully it won’t be too hard. I might just ask around for suggestions which might lead me in the right direction!