Refine your data

Hello all,

For one of my two remaining releases for my open source class, I decided (based on my professor’s suggestion) to contribute to a project called OpenRefine. This is a brilliant project started by Google which allows you to clean up your data. It has some pretty neat features like fixing inconsistencies in data, extracting out unnecessary fields of data, augmenting your data set with data collected from online sources, etc. It has a pretty slick UI that will make interaction with data more user-friendly. Gone are the days of using MS Excel.

For this release I worked on a pretty simple optimization bug that dealt with reducing the number of events triggered for each keystroke in an input field. With the project combining languages like Java, JavaScript, and HTML, I was not sure what I was in for.

I did have a little trouble navigating the project itself (it is a very big project) and was struggling a bit to figure out a starting point. I thought I would give it a fair shot before knocking on the doors of their IRC channel. Simply put – Global Search FTW. In the bug itself, the place where the event was captured was mentioned, so I global searched for that. Once I found it, I experimented a little with what an appropriate solution to ignoring certain keystrokes would be. Within about half an hour, voila, I had a good tested solution, and a PR up.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how to fix the failing AppVeyor thing – will wait for some comments from the devs.

Stay tuned for my final release soon…

Update:
Apparently the AppVeyor thing was not relevant atm so the devs merged it in 🙂

r.gideonthomas@gmail.com / April 19, 2015 / Open Source / 0 Comments